COVID-19 Information and Updates
Give Today! Support Randolph College
About RandolphAdmissionAcademicsStudent LifeAthleticsOutcomesApplyDepositInquireVisitNewsEventsGiveA-Z IndexSearchAlumnae & AlumniParents & FamiliesInside Randolph

Graduate School Funding Information

Cost Factors


  • in-state school vs. out-of-state school
  • where you live (residence hall, apartment)
  • field in which you specialize
  • cost of living in particular region

A majority of graduate students receive at least some financial support (see below).

Unlike undergraduate school aid, graduate support is often based on merit rather than need.

Please note information and sources for funding varies by schools and programs and may not be applicable in all cases. This is meant to be a general guide for graduate funding.

Sources for Financial Support

Fellowships are an outright grant of money, called a stipend, for which you are not required to perform any work or services.  The basis of the  award is your academic potential, not your financial need.  Fellowship sources include institutional, government, and private grants.

Assistantships are financial assistance provided by the university in return for service or work you perform for the school or department.  The amount varies.  It may provide a full or partial tuition waiver; it may provide a sum of money each month.  The advantage is that you receive not only money but also experience.

Teaching Assistantships are teaching positions with a specified amount of part-time undergraduate teaching while you attend school.  Advanced students may teach a lab, or a discussion section of a course.  TA  positions can be a valuable experience if you plan a career in college teaching.

Research Assistants are similar to a TA except the student does research assignments under supervision of graduate faculty members.  Sometimes work done on a research assistantship can be used to partially meet requirements of your degree program.

Administrative Assistantship is an assistantship in an administrative office on campus.

Resident Hall, Student Personnel, and Counseling Assistantships frequently are given to students in fields like psychology, counseling, student personnel and  social work.  They usually involve a combination of administrative work, counseling or advising.  Resident Hall assistantships usually involve living in an undergraduate hall.

Loans can be applied for through banks, government agencies and in some cases through a special university fund.

Resourceful Websites:

  • Randolph Connect web site

    Membership has its privileges.
    Randolph students can tap into RandolphConnect, a vast online network of alumnae and alumni for career advice, job leads, and mentoring.
  • Internship Contract Deadlines

    Summer Internship — Due: May 1st (appeal period until July 31)

    Fall Internship — Due: Aug 15 (appeal period until end of first week of classes)

    Winter Internship — Due: Dec 1st (no appeal period)

    Spring Internship — Due: Dec 1st (appeal period until end of first week of classes)

    Contracts submitted during appeal period must be accompanied by an Appeal Form regardless of reason or circumstances. After that date, Internships may not earn credit.

  • Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn YouTube RSS Feeds Snapchat