Give Today! Support Randolph College
AboutAdmissionAcademicsStudent LifeAthleticsOutcomesAlumnae & AlumniParents & FamiliesInside RandolphAPPLYREQUESTVISITNEWSEVENTSSupport RandolphSearch

Animals on Campus for Students with Disabilities

Official Policy – Service and Emotional Support Animals (.pdf)

Service Animal

A service animal is a dog trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. These tasks include, but are not limited to: guiding individuals with impaired vision; alerting individuals who are hearing impaired to intruders or sound; providing minimal protection or rescue work; pulling a wheelchair; and alerting an individual to medical or psychological conditions. Service animals are allowed to be in all campus buildings.

It is not required for a person with a service animal to register with the Disability Services office but it is helpful to make an appointment with the Coordinator of Disability Services so they can coordinate any needed efforts on their behalf. If the owner of a Service Animal wants the animal to live in campus housing they must work with the Coordinator of Disability Services to review the policies for that.

Emotional Support Animal

An emotional support animal is prescribed to an individual with a disability by a physician or mental health professional to play an integral part of a person’s treatment process. Unlike a service animal, an emotional support animal does not assist a person with a disability with activities of daily living, nor does it accompany a person with a disability at all the times. Emotional Support Animals are permitted in the individual’s assigned residence hall room and designated outdoor spaces.

Emotional Support Animals in College Housing: Emotional Support animals may not reside in Randolph College housing without expressed approval from a committee that includes the Director of Residence Life and the Coordinator of Student Disability Services, the Director of the Health Center and the Director of the Counseling Center.

Formal Application for an Emotional Support Animal is required. Applications (with accompanying professional documentation) must be received 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester so there is sufficient time for the committee to make their determination. During this time the animal is not allowed on campus so make arrangements accordingly.


Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn YouTube RSS Feeds Snapchat