1. The members of the faculty, meeting as a legislative body, deal with issues of educational policy and procedure. During the academic year, the faculty ordinarily meets on the first Tuesday of each calendar month. This monthly meeting may be omitted when, in the judgment of the President of the College, there is no business requiring a meeting at the regular time. The President may call a meeting on some date other than the first Tuesday of the month when this seems desirable.
2. Those entitled to attend faculty meetings on a regular basis are full-time and part-time teaching members of the faculty; professional librarians with faculty status (i.e., with a graduate degree in Library Science); members of the Senior Staff (President, Dean of the College, Dean of Students, Vice President for Finance and Administration, Vice President for Development and Communications, Vice President for Enrollment, Alumnae Director, Director of Institutional Research, and Assistant to the President); Registrar, and other members of the staff designated by a vote of the Faculty. Those so designated are:
Associate Dean of the College
Director of Career Development
Director of Information Technology
Director of Development
Director of Financial Planning and Assistance
Director of Admissions
Director of Prime Time
Director of Communications
Director of the Maier Museum
3. Eligibility to Vote. On motions concerning the curriculum and in elections of faculty to representative positions (e.g., the Faculty Representative Committee, the Judiciary Committee, the Judicial Appeals Board, Faculty Representative to the Buildings and Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees, Faculty Secretary, and any other representative positions that may be created), those eligible to vote are full-time members of the teaching faculty holding the rank of instructor or above, full-time members of the library staff with faculty status, and part-time teaching or library appointees who are employed at half-time or more for the academic year and who have accumulated 12 semester hours of teaching at the College, or the equivalent of one semester of full-time work in the library.
On all other motions, those eligible to vote also include the President, the Dean of the College, the Dean of Students, the Associate Dean of the College, the Vice President for Enrollment, and the Registrar.
[II.B.3 Amended: Faculty, 4/14/09; Trustees, 5/9/09]
4. Voting Procedures. Ordinarily, a simple majority vote of eligible voters present and voting is required to approve an action presented to the faculty. By a simple majority vote of the faculty, a larger majority vote may be ordered on any matter before the faculty.
5. Officers and Election. The President of the College is the presiding officer at faculty meetings. In the absence of the President, the Dean of the College shall preside. In the absence of both the President and the Dean of the College, the President shall designate the person to preside.
The Secretary of the Faculty shall be elected by the faculty to serve a three-year term. The members of the Faculty Representative Committee are elected by the faculty according to the guidelines outlined under II.C.2.a. The Faculty Representatives to the Judiciary Committee and to the Judicial Appeals Board shall be elected by the faculty, each to serve a two-year term. The Faculty Representative Committee shall be responsible for bringing to the faculty, in April, a list of nominees for all elected and appointed positions and committees for the following year.
6. Parliamentarian. The President appoints a parliamentarian ordinarily chosen from the faculty who shall be responsible at meetings of the faculty for points of order and procedure in accord with Robert's Rules of Order (Newly Revised).