COVID-19 Updates and Spring Semester Reopening
Give Today! Support Randolph College
About RandolphAdmissionAcademicsStudent LifeAthleticsOutcomesApplyDepositInquireVisitNewsEventsGiveA-Z IndexSearchAlumnae & AlumniParents & FamiliesInside Randolph


Q: How long will the program take me?
A: For M.A.T. degree option, undergraduates can complete initial teacher licensure in elementary or secondary education or special education and a master’s degree after a 5th year of study in a summer-fall-spring cycle.
top ^
Q: What is the advantage of having a master’s degree as an educator?
A: Randolph College provides a rigorous curriculum for current and future leaders in education. A teacher with a master’s degree is better prepared to serve students. Also, a master’s degree can elevate your financial prospects within the state or private school systems and increase the teaching options available to you.
top ^
Q: When do classes meet?
A: Classes begin mid-May, with three summer sessions followed by two semesters. The summer session coincides with the summer school schedule for the Lynchburg City schools to allow students to observe in the school system. Classes will be offered during the fall and spring semesters in the late afternoon and evening. A student may apply for entry in the fall as well as in the summer.
top ^
Q: Can I complete a bachelor’s degree and certify to teach?
A: Yes, a student can pursue a bachelor’s degree and stay to complete a 5th year to earn a Master of Arts in Teaching.
top ^
Q: What if I don’t want to do special education or curriculum and instruction; will a graduate degree from Randolph College help me?
A: Yes, a master’s degree, regardless of the focus, will improve your earning potential as a teacher and the endorsements in curriculum and instruction or special education will open many teaching options for you.
top ^
Q: If I don’t have a major in education or the field I want to teach in, do I have to complete additional coursework?
A: Perhaps. The Director of the Education Program can provide a review of your past experience and the requirements for licensure in your field of interest. You may be required to take additional coursework to meet the state licensure requirements for your field of choice.
top ^
Q: Will I need to student teach?
A: Yes, a student intern semester is required for the M.A.T. and initial licensure.
top ^
Q: Is there any financial aid available?
A: While there is no institutional aid available for the graduate program in teaching, federal student loan and state grant options are available.
top ^
Q: Can I transfer in graduate credits?
A: Yes. With appropriate documentation, up to 6 credits of coursework completed at other accredited institutions may be considered for transfer equivalents for education courses.
top ^
  • Facebook Twitter Instagram LinkedIn YouTube RSS Feeds Snapchat